Thursday, December 17, 2009

Drinks of Desperation

I am certain that most of you have been in my position at one time or another. You open the door to your fridge, and notice that there is no beer in there. You confidently look on the door to see if there is a bottle hiding next to the soy sauce. Nothing. So you walk over to your wine rack, and that’s empty too!

Hmmm… This could be bad.



Angry baby needs his booze.

You go to your booze shelf looking to make a highball, and you are out of rum and whiskey. All you have is gin, cachaça, and sweet vermouth.

This my friends, is a unfortunate but hardly a disaster. Cachaça is made with sugar cane juice, and is similar to a raw white rum. Generally its from Brazil, and is used to make caipirinhas; a drink made with muddled limes and simple syrup-served over rocks in a lowball glass. It makes a great sipping drink. But tonight I am not looking for something fancy, this is an exercise in boozey desperation. So mix I the cachaça with diet coke and viola! Problem solved. But there was just enough for one drink, and as we all know one is never enough.

So then I am left reviewing my options. I have a friend who shall remain nameless, but she has been known to mix vermouth and coke in her desperate scrabble for a fix. That’s just not right, I do have some standards. I focus on the gin but alas there is no more tonic, so G&Ts are out. But I do have sprite and Roses lime juice. Gin, Sprite, and lime juice. I don’t know if it’s a proper drink with a proper name but it works. The lime juice helps take some of the gross edge off the gin and the drink works passably. Sobriety averted!

What is your desperation drink? What is the grossest thing that you have turned to for a fix? Don’t worry; I won’t judge you.













(But he might)

7 comments:

  1. Metamucil Margarita - I had tequila, lime, salt, but no simple syrup or orange juice - hey, I figured - the Metamucil (yes, the fiber laxative stuff) is orange flavored and sweet - it might work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats simply amazing. I have mixed vodka with powdered Crystal Light with fiber (peach tea flavored.) It was... Gross but not too bad. somehow the metamucil margarita sounds grosser. hwo was it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once used Ketchup to make Bloody Marys. I should clarify though, it was from about 20 McDonalds Ketchup Packs.

    Enough Pepper and they were not to bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim drank cookies and cream liquor mixed with coke that night after your wedding. I once had a mountain dew and whiskey. Gross on both counts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ketchup bloody Marys is an astonishing level of depravity, even for you Ed.

    Mountain Dew and whiskey is not that bad. I drink it sometimes. Cookies and Cream liquor mixed with coke just sounds like something a crackhead would drink.

    Wait, I mean I'm not judging you. That was Steve Buscemi judging you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the coke and vermouth idea, btw

    ReplyDelete
  7. funny you should mention, coke and vermouth

    ReplyDelete