Thursday, December 3, 2009

90 Shilling Ale (Odell Brewing Company)

There is a magical place full of Subarus and fleece jackets and yuppies and breweries. This place is Colorado. I am covinced that even the homeless people in that outdoorsy square of a state are making an award-winning IPA in their filthy napsacks.


Pictured: Colorado, to the best of my knowledge


The Odell Brewing Co is based out of Fort Colloins, CO and I honestly do not know much about them. I did a quick peek at their website and they have been around since 1989 when they introduced their flagship beer 90 Shilling Ale. When I bought a sixer at the store, I had no idea it was the flagship. Makes sense since it was the only offering from Odell in Gerbes in JC-MO. Mind you, Gerbes has a very weak selection, so whenever a new-to-me brew pops up there I feel compelled to try it out.


So according to the bottle this is a traditional Scottish ale that has been lightened. Tasting it I can see what they were shooting for. Its an amber ale with a nice amount of body and hops without being overpowering. It even packs a middling punch at 5.3%. As odd as it sounds, just about everything about this ale is middling. Now, my favorite word is mediocre but this does not apply here. I think I can rather fairly call this ale well balanced. While I would not call it light, a certain boozy blogger is ready for his next beer as soon as the first one is done. Maybe it is because 30 is knocking, but beer has been filling me up and making me feel bloated. 90 Shilling Ale has not left me feeling that way. I certainly enjoyed drinking it. No single aspect of it makes you stand up and say wow, but it's the flagship of the Odell brand. I mean, consider New Belgium's Fat Tire. Schlafly's Pale Ale. Boulevard's... Pale Ale? Good for Odell for chosing an amber ale to be the flagship rather than something staid and played out like a pale ale or wheat. Bottom line, I will probably buy this beer again and I will most surely be trying more of Odell's offerings if I can find them.
If I were to try to pair this beer with a food, I can honestly say with firsthand knowledge that it goes great with a homemade white chili. Or smurfberries. Or smurfs. Those blue bastards' days are numbered. Honestly, if I hadn't have driven through Colorado on my way to Burning Man last year, I would have sworn that it was a made-up imaginary place. I mean, a land of beer and white water rafting only two states away? A boozey mecca on the other side of hell (Kansas)? Yeah, I seriously thought someone was screwing with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment