Thursday, November 19, 2009

Full Moon [Blue Moon Winter Ale]

Full disclosure: I love me some Belgian Beers. I love me some Witbiers. So it only stands to reason that I love me some Blue Moon. Flavored with coriander and orange peel, I can’t get enough. Sure sure sure, its strong Belgian flavor is toned down to suit our juvenile American palates. But who cares! It’s tasty! I like it.
So today I am reviewing the seasonal brew, Full Moon, formerly known as “Blue Moon Winter Ale.” It is self described as a “winter seasonal ale that blends three varieties of slow roasted malts and multiple hops to deliver exquisite aroma and taste" and that this “Abbey ale is perfect for crisp winter days. This ale is brewed with roasted malts and Dark Belgian sugar for a perfectly balanced taste.” I believe it. Normal Blue Moon is light and superbly drinkable, this is no exception. It is a little bit heavier than Blue Moon, but not uncomfortably so; just enough to give it nice thick mouthfeel, something to hold on to! The addition of the Belgians sugars to the brew gives it a bit more of an authentic Belgian flair: a little reminiscent of Belgian style beers from another Colorado brewery: the aptly named New Belgium Brewery.
In short, if you love Blue Moon, try Full Moon. If you have never had Blue Moon, for god’s sake do something about it. Do it now, I’ll wait. Have you tried it yet? DO IT NOW!

FYI, according to wikipedia(citation needed) some studies suggest the coriander increases the level of intoxication thought to be caused by accelerated entry into the bloodstream. Take that with a grain of salt, BONUS!

1 comment:

  1. I've never been a big fan of Blue Moon Beers. I guess this could be my prejudice from living in the land of Milk and Honey (Bavaria Germany), so the Belgium styles don't fit me. If I am going to drink a Weizen, I prefer Crystal....although I used to (in the day) drink Cola Weizen, a thick HefeWeizen (Yeast Beer) and Coke drink.

    Mmmmmmm....Germans are weird.

    Debi like Blue Moon though, so I guess its just a matter of personal taste.

    ReplyDelete