Thursday, November 5, 2009

11/05/09 Singha Lager Beer


Dear Diary,
Last night I went out for Thai food at one of my favorite restaurants in Columbia, Bangkok Gardens. I remember it from a long time ago when it was just a small one room restaurant with maybe six table in a small storefront off upper 9th street. It has since moved to Cherry and has a two story dining room with a contemporary faux Asian decorating flare. They have expanded their both their entrĂ©e and appetizer menu, but several things have not changed: They still serve water in metal mugs, their Pad Thai is super bitchin’, and they serve their Singha nice and cold.
Singha is a lager beer from Thailand that packs a whopin’ 6% ABV. If you drink a few of these you will surely know it. While not an airy beer by any means, it is not too heavy of a drink. It pairs very nicely with the noodle dishes that seem to make up the lion’s share of Thai food. The flavor almost reminds me of an American adjunct lager, but without the corniness or blandness, and with a slightly more sour flavor. While I wouldn’t drink it after mowing the lawn, I would happily suck down two while eating a spicy peanut noodle dish at the beloved Columbia institution.
On a side note, they now have a spicy fried liver appetizer there. Highly recommended; not too livery, spicy tasty sauce, perfectly wok fried. It is the perfect complement to a round of ice cold Singha!

1 comment:

  1. For me, the thing about the oriental beers is that I wouldn't just drink them for fun. They almost ALWAYS have to go with a particular meal.

    So no drunken lawn mowing from Singha for me either.

    ReplyDelete